Have you ever come across a recipe that you got really excited about making? Well, it is no surprise that I love to cook, and when I saw this recipe I got really excited! Why? Because it is a “creamy” soup that I could tailor to our “little-to-no-dairy diet”. Yeah! I just have to tell you up front, that it was a huge hit. My husband ranked it up there as one of his new favorite soups!
- 2 Tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1-2 stalks finely chopped celery
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth (I used water and chicken broth base)
- 2 large baking potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 1/2 cup water
- 2/3 cup milk (or almond milk)
- 2-3 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup shredded cheese (I used a Mexican cheese blend)
In a large soup pot, sauté onion, carrot, and celery until tender. Add garlic and cook 1-2 more minutes. Add the chicken broth and potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook until potatoes are tender. Mix flour with water and add to the soup. Simmer until soup is slightly thickened. Add milk and broccoli and cook on medium-to-low heat until broccoli is tender (If you like your broccoli soft, consider adding it earlier – when the potatoes are almost cooked). Stir in the cheese until it is melted. Serve with crusted bread or crackers.
There was absolutely nothing left when dinner was through! I’d say we all liked it! 🙂 Next time I will definitely be making a double batch!